Recent Commercial Posts
Drastic temperature changes caused damage to a Condo at a Ski Resort
Dehumidifier and Air movers are setup to dry one area of this condo at Snowshoe.
On Monday January 21st the temperature at Snowshoe Resort averaged 13 degrees which is typical for this Ski Resort. Non-typically 4 days later on Thursday, the average rose to 51 degrees accompanied with rain. The sudden warming and rain turned the snow on a rooftop into slush that created a drain blockage similar to an Ice dam.
The water that backed up behind the slush leaked into a vacation rental causing damage to the ceiling, insulation, walls, and floors. After tearing out wet drywall, insulation, and flooring the equipment was set up and monitored until the drying was completed.
The owner of the condo was concerned that he would not be able to get all the work done before Ski season was over and he would lose revenue until the following season. After we finished, his contractor immediately started the rebuild and he was able to rent out the condo much quicker than expected.
Safety Tips for Commercial Building Owners:
Strip Mall in Beaver WV houses a variety of businesses including an Antique Store.
Owning commercial property can be financially rewarding but you must stay on top of the maintenance to protect your building and tenants. Hire a dependable maintenance company or supervisor that will do inspections on a regular basis for each unit you own. Provide them with a detailed list that includes intervals of the things you require them to inspect.
The inspections are primarily done to protect your investment but also will ensure your facility will pass State, County, or City building inspections. Check with your local authority for a listing that will more than likely include:
Both the Fire Alarm and Sprinkler systems must be tested and serviced annually.
Fire Extinguishers are visible and are not expired.
Circuit breaker panels and junction boxes aren’t covered.
Exit doors are easily accessible and emergency lights are working properly.
Walkways especially stairways are not obstructed
We didn't expect to see this
Dishwasher hose outlet in a Summersville apartment destroyed by a mouse.
SERVPRO of Beckley has seen a lot of water damage from different sources. From plumbing problems, natural disasters, HVAC’s, and appliance malfunctions just to name a few. Occasionally we have some jobs that are definitely not your typical damage.
A property manager at an apartment complex near Summersville contacted us for water damage repairs. They told us there was a problem with a dishwasher that had malfunctioned. We arrived on site and began to remove the dishwasher but discovered that the appliance wasn’t the cause!
Keep in mind that a lot of people in WV live in the country. To enjoy the peace and quiet we have to be willing to occasionally deal with those pesky field mice that may leave the field and get inside our homes. What we found the cause of the leak to be was that a mouse had chewed small holes through the hose outlet.
Water mitigation was performed, hose outlet replaced, and the dishwasher was re-installed after the re-construction was completed.
Look at the before and after pictures “Mitigation AND Reconstruction job performed at Summersville apartment” for the beginning and end of this water job
How an Emergency Ready Plan can potentially prevent additional damages
TOMORROW WILL MAKE ONE YEAR SINCE DISASTER STRUCK A SENIOR COMPLEX IN HINTON, WV
On May 22, 2017 at approximately 3:30 PM on the 5th floor of “Hinton House” a fire broke out in one of the apartments. The Hinton Fire Department along with Summers County and Jumping Branch-Nimitz Volunteer Fire Departments responded to fight the fire. Through their efforts and the sprinkler system that activated, the fire damage was contained to the one unit, saving housing for at least 100 of our seniors.
Residents did have to be “temporally” displaced due to major water damage caused mainly by the sprinkler system. It is estimated that approximately 45 minutes passed after the fire was extinguished before the sprinkler shut off valve could be located.
Don’t let an unmarked sprinkler shut off valve be the cause of major damage to your facility. SERVPRO of Beckley offers a “NO COST” assessment for all government, educational, multi-residential and commercial buildings. The SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile serves as a quick reference to all utility shut offs and important contact information.
Call SERVPRO of Beckley at 304-253-6633 for a No Cost Assessment of your facility!
Ducts sometimes = dust, dirt, odors & contaminants
This is the condition of duct work we found in a commercial building
Business owners - do you lease or own your commercial building?
Do you know how long it has been since the HVAC System was installed in your building?
Are odors and contaminants such as mold and irritating dust being distributed all over your building?
Has your facility been in a circumstance involving fire, smoke or suspected mold growth?
If you don’t have good answers to these questions, call SERVPRO of Beckley for more information about the Duct Cleaning Process we can do to improve your indoor air quality.
We can help remediate bacteria, fungi, and mold. Reduce potential for mold growth, restore peak energy efficiency and eliminate offensive odors. The written inspections and estimates are free.
Keeping your system at peak condition can extend the life span of the equipment.
Say What? Wet paper can be saved?
Accidents do happen even in the most unlikely places
Water intrusion in your home or business not only damages the structure and contents, there may be substantial damage to your documents and photos.
Not everybody lives in the age of technology where documents, books, and pictures are digitized. Some of us still have filing cabinets, book shelves, and photo albums. If I were faced with having to discard my most precious memories and legal documents it would be more devastating than the damage to my home.
SERVPRO has the resources to dry, clean, sterilize, deodorize, and digitize documents. I never imaged wet paper could be saved until I witnessed it after a medical facility contacted us to save some of their patient records that had accidentally gotten wet.
Don’t worry about losing your large format items either. We have the resources to provide “Document Restoration” to Hospitals, Law firms, Engineering Firms, Libraries, and Government buildings.
Bob Evans Restaurant Fire in 2016
We applaud businesses that put employees and patrons health and safety first.
A fire in the kitchen at Bob Evans closed the doors of this restaurant in Fayetteville. WV in 2016. Thankfully no one was injured but the closure had an instant effect on employees and customers.
Bob Evans Managers knew they had to take prompt action to re-open as soon as possible to eliminate lost revenue and lost wages.
We assessed the facility finding there was smoke damage not only in and around the kitchen area but throughout the entire building. The ceiling, walls, windows, furniture, fixtures, appliances, dishes, and utensils should be thoroughly cleaned.
We presented our estimate to the Bob Evans managers. With the welfare and safety of their employees and diners in mind they immediately decided to leave the cleaning & sanitation to trained specialist in lieu of using a non-professional.
Knowing how important it was for this restaurant to open as soon as possible, we utilized almost all of our crew and in 12 days this establishment re-opened their doors.
PROOF - Emergency Ready Plan Prevents Permanent Damage
Mullens Middle School built around 1930 escapes major water damage
From the fall of 2016 and continuing through the spring of 2017, Emergency Ready Profiles were completed for 33 facilities owned by the WV Wyoming County Board of Education. The maintenance director took a great interest in our proposal and personally took us to each building and shut off.
In August 2017 I received the following email from him:
"The school was Mullens Middle. It was built around 1930 and has much of the original plumbing. The principal called me one afternoon to report a water line had ruptured in the wall of her office near the water cooler. She was needing help to stem the flow of water flooding her office. The custodian was on the ground floor directly below looking for a valve to turn the water off. I couldn’t think. I couldn’t remember off hand were the main water valve was at. I immediately went to your folder and grabbed the map. The valve was located in the boiler room and I relayed the information to the custodian who had the water off in no time. Since this all happened in a matter of minutes we were able to extract the water from the carpet and mop the floor leaving no permanent damage. Thank you again for taking time to help us identify all of our shut offs!!!!”
Are you ready?
As many as 50% of businesses may never recover after suffering a disaster.
You own a business and you are out of town, the phone rings and on the other end of the line is your office letting you know your building has flooded because of a broken water line. The secretary tells you the water was 3 inches deep in the entire building when she came in and now it's at 6 inches. You ask her why is it getting deeper? Her response is "nobody here knows where the water shut off is and the water company has not gotten here to turn off the main line".
To prevent this from being your scenario, let us develop an Emergency Ready Profile for your business - A no cost assessment of you facility.
Call us at 304-253-6633 to schedule an appointment.