Aerosol Container Explosion
We recently completed a job in a home after an aerosol can exploded. The homeowner was hospitalized for burns but has since fully recovered. Damages to the structure were minimal but smoke odors extended throughout the house.
This unfortunate accident could happen to anyone that cooks using aerosol cooking oil. It is so convenient to keep the oil close to the stove within reach while cooking. But be mindful that when placed in an area near a heat source the temperature in the can increases. Pressure in the can will increase as the temperature rises and may lead to an explosion. If the explosion happens near an open flame a fire will also ignite.
Our customer had been canning most of the day so the heat in the kitchen area was much warmer than normal. He had finished canning and was removing his canned goods from the pressure cooker to the counter. The steam along with the already higher temperatures caused the pressure to rise in an aerosol can sitting on a shelf above the stove.