Lightning Striking Swimming Pools in Beckley?
Do you know that thunderstorms can make swimming pools magnets for lightning strikes? The best policy is to go inside as soon as you hear the thunder roar and wait at least 30 minutes after the last lightning strike to ensure the storm is over.
Our local team in Beckley responds to storm damage emergencies every year. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration give the following lightning safety tips:
- Avoid isolated tall trees, hilltops, utility poles, cell phone towers, cranes, large equipment, ladders, scaffolding, or rooftops
- Avoid open areas, such as fields
- Never lie flat on the ground
- Retreat to dense areas of smaller trees that are surrounded by larger trees, or retreat to low-lying areas but watch for flooding
- Avoid water, and immediately get out of and away from bodies of water
- Avoid wiring, plumbing, and fencing. Stay away from all metal objects, equipment, and surfaces that can conduct electricity.
- Do not shelter in sheds, pavilions, tents, or covered porches as they do not provide adequate protection from lightning
- Seek fully enclosed, substantial buildings with wiring and plumbing. In modern buildings, the interiorwiring and plumbing will act as an earth ground.
- A building is a safe shelter as long as you are not in contact with anything that can conduct electricity (e.g., electrical equipment or cords, plumbing fixtures, corded phones). Do not lean against concrete walls or floors (which may have metal bars inside).
Call Us Today!
When your home or business in Beckley has storm damage, our local team in Beckley is Here to Help. ® Call us today at 304-253-6633.
Franchises are independently owned and operated.