Prepare for a Winter Storm Beckley
SERVPRO of Beckley has these tips to help prepare for a winter storm.
Winter Storms in Beckley can bring high winds, snow, and ice. A winter storm can knock out power, water, and communication.
SERVPRO of Beckley wants you to be prepared. Winter storms can last anywhere from a few hours to several days. You can’t prevent a winter storm, but you can minimize storm damage.
- Prepare by gathering emergency supplies. Supplies include warm clothes, extra blankets, flashlights, medicines, and food. Gather any items you will need if you lose power or communication
- Develop a communication plan. Have phone numbers written down in case you cannot use your mobile phone
- Know the winter storm terms. The National Weather Service (NWS) will report a(n):
- ADVISORY when they expect that weather conditions might be hazardous. Be cautious, and the conditions should not be life-threatening
- WATCH when they predict heavy snow or ice, but cannot yet show when or which areas will be hit. NWS issues a WATCH 12 to 26 hours ahead of the predicted storm
- WARNING when they expect 4 or more inches of snow or sleet within 12 hours or they expect ¼ inch or more of ice. Keep warm and dry. Minimize driving. Stay indoors
- Tell your local electric company if someone in your home needs power for medical devices. They will make your home a priority
- Install battery-powered or battery back-up carbon monoxide detectors.
SERVPRO of Beckley is independently owned and operated.